Saturday, May 9

Could You Not Cheer?

Out of the mouths of babes.

Today, at my daughter's softball game, the pitcher of the other team demonstrated (at least to me) that she's going to go far in life. I say this not because she pitched a no-hitter-- because she didn't--and not because her pitching skills are destined to someday bring about the rebirth of women's professional baseball. I say it not because her team won nor because she stood out as the champion of her teammates, encouraging and praising their efforts. I don't know if she did those things.

Here's what I think....I think she's going to go far in life because she knows herself, she knows what she wants, she says what she wants, she says it without apologizing or whining or stomping or shouting, and she clearly has confidence enough to expect to have a real effect.

So what did she do? She was pitching for her team. Her teammates and coaches, a supportive bunch were, shouting for her to do well. She stopped, just before she was about to take her pitching stance, looked over at the coaches on the bench and said loudly and firmly, "Could you not cheer?".

Whatever her reason, whether for concentration or out of shyness, I want to be like her when I grow up.

1 comment:

ConverseMomma said...

This is what I want for my children, but especially for my daughter, for her to know herself. For her to be fearless, even when faced with the fear that society tries to instill in every woman who is not afraid to speak her mind.

Hey, Happy Mother's Day, btw.